We are experiencing some seriously hot weather at the Merseyside Rehoming Centre at the moment, with temperatures getting up to almost 90°!! With about 100 dogs in our care at any one time, we have to make sure that all are protected from the heat and strong sunlight, just as you would do with your pets at home. Watch the video below to see what we’re doing, and how the dogs are having fun in the sun.
As a reminder, here is the advice you can find on our website about protecting your own dogs from the summer heat:
- Don't excessively walk your dog
- Avoid walking your dog at the hottest times of the day - often morning or later in the evenings can be cooler
- Always take plenty of water with you when out with your dog
- Make sure the dog has shade to cool off in, either inside or when out
- Take your dog to the groomers and keep their fur clipped
- Dogs can get sun burned - especially white dogs or those with little hair so try and keep them out of direct sun
- Think twice about any car trips with your dog - avoid congested roads or busy times of day when they could overheat in the car if you are caught up in traffic
- If driving with your dog plan your journey considering cooler times of the day and places to take breaks
- Don't leave your dog in a car - as temperatures rise, dogs overheat quickly and leaving them for as little as 20 minutes could prove fatal.