Salisbury, which is situated within Wiltshire is a wonderful Cathedral city and is the only one within Wiltshire. It has the second largest population within wiltshire with just over 40,000 residents.The first Salisbury Cathedral was built on the hill by St Bishop Osmund between 1075 and 1092. A larger building was built on the same site circa 1120. However, deteriorating relations between the clergy and the military at Old Sarum led to the decision to re-site the cathedral elsewhere. When the Cathedral was relocated Salisbury as it is now known was born. Some people refer to the town as New Sarum but this is very rare.
The current Cathedral that stands proudly in the town today in was built over 38 years starting in 1221. Some of the stones that make up the building where taken from the Original Cathedral in Old Sarum.
Salisbury holds a market on Tuesdays and Saturdays and has held markets regularly since 1227. In the 15th century the Market Place had three crosses. The Poultry Cross whose name describes its market. The cheese and milk cross indicated that market which was in the triangle between the HSBC bank and the Salisbury Library. There was a third cross near the site of the present war memorial and this marked a woollen and yarn market. A fourth cross called Barnwell or Barnards Cross was situated around the Culver Street, Barnard Street area, this marked a cattle and livestock market. Today only the Poultry Cross remains, to which flying buttresses were added in 1852.
The Store, which has now been open for over 5 years, is run by our lovely team of staff and volunteers. Without the Wonderful Volunteers we would not be able to operate on a daily basis. We have many more members in the team, why not come and meet them and browse our wonderful selection of products. From clothing to Media, menswear to Bric a brac the store is full of ever changing gifts and goodies. We also have our very own range of hand Knitted dog coats to keep your companions warm through winter.
Where to park
The nearest car park is on Crane Street.
Nearest rehoming centre