Alabama Rot: The things you need to know
Alabama Rot is a serious – and sometimes fatal – disease that all dog owners should be aware of.
Although it has been suggested that Alabama Rot is caused by toxins, it’s still not known exactly how dogs contract the disease.
What are the symptoms?
- Skin lesions, ulcers and sores
- Lethargy, or a loss of energy
- Loss of appetite and not wanting to eat
With outbreaks being reported in the UK over the last few days, Dogs Trust Veterinary team offers our top tips to best prevent your dog from becoming unwell.
- When out walking, where possible stick to dry paths and keep your dog out of muddy or wet areas
- Wash any mud off your dog after walks and check them for lesions or wounds. If you see any, take your dog to the Vet to have a look, especially if they don’t seem to be healing
- If your dog starts to become unwell, or suddenly suffers from conditions such as lethargy or anorexia and begins to vomit, take them to your Vet immediately for their advice