Put a spring in your step!
At long, long last we are heading for Spring! Time to dust off those walking boots and set off to explore nature with your pooch.
So where are the best destinations for you and your dog to head for an adventure? We are so lucky to have some of the most fantastic forests right on our doorstep!
- Ballyboley towards Larne, Randalstown and Ballycastle all have super forests along with Tardree forest in the Antrim area. The magnificent Glenarriff Forest, near Cushendun, is a hiking must but always check with your vet first if you are unsure how fit your dog is and how far a distance they could manage.
- Why not even consider climbing our very own Slemish mountain, after all, it is nearly St Patrick's day! Your dog will probably appreciate a nice mixture of different walks as new sights and sniffs will excite all his doggy senses.
- Remember if you have trained a reliable recall the forest is a great place to allow some quality off lead time (always check for nearby grazing sheep first). Ballyboley forest has a lovely stretch of water for your dog to enjoy as do Carrick dams at Woodburn forest.
- Carrick Dams and Woodburn Forest.
- The views from Tardree and Ballycastle forest are amazing and Randalstown forest has a beautiful deer and owl enclosure as well as access to the shore of Lough Neagh.
- Tardree Forest between Antrim and Kells with views of Slemish.
- For those of you in the Belfast area, Cavehill is stunning although it may be advisable to keep your dog on a lead due to some steep drops! There is also a variety of doggy parks the council has kindly allowed dogs access to, Valley and Grove parks are a good example.
Walks are a great training and photo opportunity but if the car journey stops you venturing out because the dog is travel sick or gets stressed in the car, contact us or your vet for advice.
If you are interested in any of our classes, we operate in the Antrim, Belfast and Ballymena areas with a variety of time slots. Contact us on 07715654650 or email [email protected]
You can also follow us on Twitter @DogSchoolNI and Instagram @dogschoolnorthernireland to see for yourself all the fun we have in class!