DIY pumpkin fro-yo treats for dogs
Make your dogs this quick and easy treat this Halloween
Halloween can be lots of fun, but remember that many human treats, especially chocolate, are toxic to dogs. These quick and easy pumpkin frozen yoghurt bites are great to have on hand to distract your dog from human sweets.
- 1 cup of non-fat plain frozen yoghurt
- 1/2 cup of cooked pureed pumpkin - raw pumpkin is not very digestible for dogs
- 1/4 cup of water
Time required: 15 minutes + freezing time
You will need:
- Pumpkin shaped ice cube tray
- Mix the yoghurt, pumpkin and water together. You can add more water to help make the mixture runny so that it's easier to fill the ice cube tray.
- Pour the mixture into your pumpkin ice cube tray.
- Freeze for about 3-4 hours of overnight.
- Once the treats are completely frozen, pop them out and serve!
Please be sure not to use canned 'pumpkin pie' as this may contain sweeteners like Xylitol, which is poisonous to dogs.
You should also feed any treats in moderation - especially frozen treats like these.
Finally, keep human Halloween treats away from your dog. For extra help, take a look at our video on teaching your dog to leave something they want.
How to teach your dog to leave >
Keeping your dog safe this Halloween
Halloween can be a fun and spooky event for the whole family, but for your dog it might be a stressful and dangerous time.
Your dog may be exposed to many unfamiliar sights and sounds, especially with so many scary costumes about. With events like Halloween, it’s important to consider the effect of 'situation stacking.'