Riley - One Year On | Harefield blog | Dogs Trust

Dogs Trust

Riley's first year in his forever home!

Former Harefield resident celebrates one year with his forever family

Side by side photos of Riley in the snow and on the grass

Ex-Dogs Trust Harefield Resident, Riley, has just celebrated his first gotcha-day with his forever family! We thought it would be nice to relive his first year in his home and see how he is getting on:

“When we first visited Riley back in May 2018, we initially walked him around the Dogs Trust grounds where he was very focused on having a good old sniff (nothing’s changed!). The staff at Dogs Trust asked us whether we wanted to spend some time with Riley off-lead in their enclosed area. It was at this moment that we knew we were the perfect match for each other, as Riley approached his now human sister - who has special needs - and instantly knew how to behave around her. A few weeks later, Riley was home with us!

When Riley walked through the door on his first day with us, he had a thorough investigation of the house. Not a room went unchecked! He soon settled down and wanted to snuggle in his new doggy bed, ready to start his new life with us.

We were surprised at how quickly Riley adapted to home life. Every day since his arrival, he wakes us up with a “good morning” kiss and cuddle, before it’s time to go for his morning walk ahead of his breakfast. No morning is complete without a case of the zoomies! Then the rest of Riley’s day is filled with fun training, garden runs and sleep.

One of Riley’s favourite parts of the day is going to the park, where he spends 90% of the time sniffing every single blade of grass! The other 10% is for spending time with new doggy friends, who he loves! Riley loves his few minutes of high energy play, before heading off and continuing his daily sniffing ritual. You know he’s had a good walk when he falls asleep as soon as he’s home in his doggy bed.

Riley celebrated his first birthday with us in September 2018 and we made sure to make it special! Riley enjoyed his very own dog-friendly birthday cake and received plenty of love from his friends and family. Bring on all the birthdays to come!

Riley has really helped us through a difficult time during this past year following a family loss. He senses when we’re feeling sad and gives us lots of snuggles, as well as making us laugh with his huge personality. We couldn’t imagine him not being a part of our small family ❤️” – Riley’s Mum

If you would like to provide a ‘yappy’ ever after for one of our canine residents, then please contact Dogs Trust West London in Harefield on 01895 453 930 or pop down and visit the centre.