Dogs Trust

Our advice: Dogs and conkers

It's conker time! But, whilst they may be an Autumn favourite for humans, conkers can be extremely dangerous for man's best friend as they are both toxic to dogs and can cause blockages in their digestive system.

A dog who has eaten a conker may have symptoms ranging from vomiting, dehydration and diarrhoea to severe toxic shock, so we urge all dog owners to watch their dogs carefully in areas where conkers are on the ground and avoid those areas if possible.

If you think your dog has eaten a conker then please speak to your vet urgently for advice.