If your dog has swallowed anything that could make him or her unwell, such as a chemical, rodent or invertebrate poison or other toxic substance (for a list of these, please see our Poisonous Substances and Food Dangers section), contact your vet immediately. If you are able to, you should take any packaging with the name of the substance and as much information as you have to the vet with you. This will be useful for the vet to devise the best course of action.
It is not always the best course of action to attempt to make a dog vomit but if your veterinary surgeon does decide this is necessary, it should be done as soon as possible as the risk of absorption of the toxin is then reduced.
PLEASE NOTE: The advice given on this page is general. Always phone your veterinary clinic for specific advice in an emergency.